Long Term Disability

With long term disability (LTD) coverage provided by Emory, you can receive a benefit equal to 60% of your base salary in the event you are unable to work due to a non-work-related injury or illness.



arrow  COST OF LIVING ADJUSTMENT (COLA) OPTION

A feature within the LTD program is the ability for you to elect the COLA option. COLA provides a 4% annual increase to the level of your LTD benefits when your disability under the LTD plan lasts more than a year.

The COLA adjustment is to keep the level of your disability payments/income in pace with inflation. COLA premiums are deducted from your paycheck after tax. COLA benefits received while on LTD are not subject to federal or state income tax. COLA is optional and is 100% employee paid.

Enroll when you are initially eligible; otherwise you must complete an Evidence of Insurability (EOI) form and a Late Enrollment Application and be approved by UNUM.


arrow  SUPPLEMENTAL INCOME PROTECTION (SIP) OPTION

Another feature within the LTD program is the ability for you to "buy up" and increase the level of income that is protected and paid as a benefit should a long term disability occur. Emory provides LTD coverage at 60% of your base salary; SIP provides the ability for you to purchase an additional 15%, making the total income replacement benefit 75% while you are disabled. In that you pay in full the cost to "buy up" under the SIP feature, the additional coverage or benefit payments related to SIP are tax-free. SIP protection is also portable in the event you leave Emory.

You must enroll when you are initially eligible during the first benefits enrollment period after completing one year of service. Enrollment is only offered one time. Visit the UNUM Supplemental Income Protection website at www.unum.com or call 800-421-0344 for information.