Frequently Asked Questions

question mark




  • How do I deposit funds into my HSA?

Funds to your HSA can come from (1) Emory’s annual contribution, (2) incentives you and/or your spouse/SSDP earn and (3) contributions you and/or your spouse make. Your contributions to the HSA, including contributions from your spouse, can be made through pre-tax payroll deductions, or may be made after-tax by transferring funds from your bank account. SSDPs cannot make cash contributions to your HSA, but can contribute to HSAs they establish on their own. NOTE: If you enroll in the HSA Plan for 2017 and have a balance in a 2016 Healthcare Flexible Spending Account (as of December 31, 2016), you are not eligible to contribute funds to an HSA or receive any funds in your HSA until April 1, 2017. This includes Emory’s annual contribution, incentives earned from wellness activities, or contributions you make to your HSA. The April 1, 2017 date still applies even if your Healthcare FSA account balance reaches $0 at an earlier point during 2017.

  • Can I use the funds in my HSA to pay medical expenses for my SSDP and/or my SSDP’s dependent child(ren)?

No. The IRS defines dependent eligibility for filing eligible expenses through accounts such as HSAs and FSAs (flexible spending accounts). While Emory allows employees to cover SSDPs (and their dependent children) through Emory-sponsored medical plans, HSAs and FSAs must adhere to federally-established guidelines. SSDPs and their children currently do not meet IRS guidelines for eligible dependents. However, SSDPs may establish their own HSAs (independent of the employee’s HSA), and may use their own HSAs to cover eligible expenses for themselves and their children. However, eligible expenses for SSDPs and their children will be covered under the HSA medical plan once the deductible has been satisfied. Emory will monitor IRS updates and make changes in accordance with IRS regulations. NOTE: Important Policy Change Reminder: In April of 2016, Emory announced the decision to alter the policy addressing benefits to same-sex domestic partners and their dependents. To allow adequate time for those impacted to plan and prepare for the change, Emory will continue to offer unmarried same-sex domestic partners of employees (and their dependents) access to Emory’s benefit programs through December 31, 2017 if they have a covered SSDP on the plan as of December 31, 2016. Effective January 1, 2018, covered SSDPs must be legally married in order to continue their Emory benefits programs (a marriage certificate may be required, as is required for opposite-sex couples). Effective January 1, 2017, no new unmarried SSDPs can be added to the Emory benefits plan by current employees; newly hired employees must provide proof of marriage to enroll their spouses on or after this date.

  • How do I get a new or additional debit card for myself or my dependents?

If you need a replacement card or an additional card for yourself or your dependent, you should request one through Aetna/PayFlex by calling 888-678-8242. A fee may be charged to order a replacement card.

  • I am a new employee and want to enroll in the HSA Plan. Will I receive the entire annual Emory contribution?

No. The contributions you receive from Emory to your HSA will be prorated based on when you activated your HSA. For example, if you are hired on February 10 and enroll in employee only coverage, you receive the annual contribution for the March – December timeframe – that’s 10 out of 12 months or 83% of the year.

  • I am over 55 years of age. Can I contribute more to my HSA?

Yes, if you are an Emory employee and are over the age of 55, you can make an additional $1,000 in “catch-up” contributions to your HSA. When including catch-up contributions, the annual contribution maximums are increased to $4,400 for individual coverage and $7,750 for family coverage.

  • How do I access the beneficiary form for the HSA?

Beneficiary designation forms are available on the Aetna Navigator website (

  • Can I still have an FSA if I am enrolled in the HSA Plan?

Yes. You can enroll in a limited Healthcare Flexible Spending Account (FSA) even if you are enrolled in the HSA Plan. You may use the limited FSA to pay for dental and vision expenses and for medical expenses once your deductible has been met. Remember: with an FSA, the funds must be used by the end of the grace period (March 15 or the following year) or they are forfeited.

  • When will I see my incentive contribution in my HSA account?

Emory processes all incentives completed by the 15th of the month for incentive payment on the next payroll for monthly paid employees and next pay period for biweekly paid employees.