Separation from Service FAQs


Your medical, dental, vision and life insurance benefits remain in effect until the last day of the month in which you last worked. Other benefits, including disability, end on the last day of employment. Refer to the Separation Checklist for more information.

COBRA (Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act) is part of a federal law that allows members who separate from employment the right to continue their current health insurance. In most cases COBRA provides you with an opportunity to continue medical/ prescription coverage and dental coverage for up to 18 months if you had coverage through Emory’s health plans. You may elect to continue participation in the Health Care Flexible Spending Account Plan through COBRA until December 31 of the year your employment terminates.

Upon departmental notification of your termination, the COBRA Administrator will send you information on how to enroll, and the cost of coverage under COBRA. Typically, you should receive this information approximately 15 to 30 days following your termination date. Make sure your address is up-to-date in Self-Service.

You have 60 days after your termination date, or from the date of notification, whichever is later, to complete your enrollment for COBRA continuation coverage.

Yes. You may continue any or all of the coverage for which you are eligible.

The COBRA Annual Enrollment takes place in the fall of each year.

In most cases, you must keep the same coverage and/or vendor you have currently. There are some instances that may allow you to elect a different coverage but you must contact the Emory COBRA Administrator for a detailed answer and circumstances.

For answers to detailed questions, you can access your benefits information, vendor contact information, and your personal information, through Self-Service. You will need your network ID and password. Contact the Office of Information Technology (OIT)at 404-727-7777 if you need this information. If you cannot access Self-Service, call the Benefits and Work Life Department at 404-727-7613.

Yes, your spouse and your dependents are covered as long as they were enrolled on your benefits on the day before your employment ends and they are properly enrolled for COBRA benefits.

No, there is no gap in coverage. Coverage is dated back to the COBRA Qualifying Event date. Coverage must be continuous and the COBRA Administrator must receive your paperwork for continuation in the proper timeframe.

If you have eligible dependents not currently enrolled, they may not be enrolled except during the annual enrollment period or as a result of a qualified family status change.

The COBRA rate is the full premium rate plus an additional 2% (102% of the total premium). See COBRA rates.

No. Depending on when you elected COBRA coverage, you have 45 days after notifying the COBRA Administrator of your intent to enroll in COBRA before any payment is due. Your first payment includes premiums back to the date your coverage terminated. Coverage must be continuous.

You should send premiums to the COBRA Administrator. Contact information can be found on the COBRA webpage.

If you elect medical coverage under COBRA, you will continue to have prescription coverage. If you do not elect the medical coverage under COBRA, you will not have prescription coverage.

If you are enrolled in the Healthcare and/or Dependent Day Care Flexible Spending Account, contributions end with your last check. You may be able to continue your participation in the Healthcare FSA through COBRA until December 31st of the year of your termination of employment.

According to IRS regulations, Dependent Day Care FSA and Healthcare FSA contributions remaining after the end of the plan year are forfeited (known as the “use it or lose it” rule).

For your Healthcare FSA, you may only submit claims for services rendered prior to your termination date, unless you decide to continue participation under COBRA. This allows you to submit claims for services incurred beyond your termination date. For Dependent Day Care FSA, you may submit claims for services incurred up to your separation date.

Contact PayFlex at 888-678-8242.

Basic and Supplemental Life Insurance and Accidental Death and Dismemberment ceases on the last day of the month in which your separation occurs.

Basic and Supplemental Life Insurance coverage may be portable if you are under age 70 or may be converted within 31 days of separation.

For information, contact The Standard at 866-756-8118.

You are responsible for mailing the continuation form and any payments to The Standard. You must return this form and pay the premiums to The Standard within 31 days of your last date worked. Accidental Death and Dismemberment is not portable and cannot be converted.

Disability coverage ends at the date of your separation. You may convert Long Term Disability, Long Term Care, and Supplemental Income Protection (SIP) to an individual disability plan within 31 days of separation. Contact UNUM at 800-421-0344 for information. This coverage is different than the university coverage and COLA is not offered.

Prepaid Legal ends on the date your employment ends. Contact MetLife Prepaid Legal Plans within 30 days for information on individual coverage.

Please contact your vendor to inquire about the distribution options that are available to you and the taxes/penalties that may apply:

You must be terminated from Emory and all affiliates to receive your distribution. Contact your department to have them initiate the process to have the system updated showing your termination status.

As long as you are terminated in the system and all paperwork is completed properly and signed by the vendor, you should receive your distribution in 2-3 weeks.

  • Forms are signed when the completed distribution form is received at the vendor or you. Make sure the forms are original and the spousal waiver or non-spouse waiver is signed and notarized.
  • You cannot work for any part of Emory or affiliates in order to receive your distribution.

Yes. Your account can remain in Emory when you leave.

Upon termination, you still are obligated to pay any loans you received from TIAA and/or Fidelity Investments. If you are terminated, loans are not permitted from TIAA or Fidelity Investments.

Call the vendor(s) that you originally selected to participate with and your status can be determined:

If you were participating in the 457(b) plan, please contact your retirement vendor(s). You have 90 days from separation to make a one-time irrevocable decision on when you want to take a distribution. If you do not make a decision in 90 days, the money is distributed to you in 5 equal annual installments and is subject to taxes. After the 90 days and the vendor is notified, you should receive the money in 2-3 weeks.

Your final pay, depending on your date of termination, is deposited into your account. Your pay advice is sent through interoffice to your department. Contact the Payroll Department at 404-727-6100 if you have any questions.

Unused vacation is paid out (depending on status and accrual maximums) and is deposited into your account. Taxes are taken out. Contact the Payroll Department at 404-727-6100 if you have any questions.

All expenses remaining for reimbursement are disbursed from the accounting department.

You will need to work directly with your department on this issue.

All laptops, ID and security badges, and any other Emory equipment is owned by Emory and must be returned to your department by the last day of your employment.

For employment only, contact The Work Number at 800-367-5690. For employment and income verification, contact the Work Number at 800-367-2884. The employer code is 11322. View Employment Verifications for more details.