Temporary Employment

As an Emory retiree, your institutional knowledge and commitment to Emory is highly valued by our departments and schools. Through the Emory Temporary Services Retiree Program, you can work as a temp, doing short term projects or assignments. Employing retiree temps not only benefits Emory, but also provides you with supplemental income and the opportunity to continue to contribute.

How it Works

If you are interested in working as a retiree temp, you need to register with Emory Temporary Services (ETS). Contact ETS at 404-727-2243 and you will be referred to a recruiter who will meet with you to evaluate your skills and work preferences. 

Pre-hire background checks will be required if you have been separated from employment with Emory for more than six months. 

ETS temporary positions are not benefits-eligible.

Frequently Asked Questions

To learn more, review our temporary employment FAQs:

Yes, as long as you meet the minimum qualifications for the job description.

Contact Emory Temporary Services at 404-727-2243 and you will be referred to a recruiter.

It depends on the amount of time you have been away from Emory. If you have been away longer than 6 months, you will need to have all the necessary pre-employment processing completed.

Yes, if they have a need or if you have already discussed an arrangement with the department hiring manager and a requisition has been submitted for your rehire.

This will vary from assignment to assignment and could be as little as a few days or a few months. 

We will pair you with assignments that match your skills and previous experience.

Yes, Emory Recruiting can assist you with your resume preparation.

Yes, however it depends on your age. If you are under age 62, you are not eligible to receive Social Security Retirement benefits and you should not have tax issues by working for Emory. However, if you are above age 62 ½ and collect social security benefits while also working, you may have to pay income tax on your benefits if you have substantial income from wages, self-employment or other taxable income. See the Social Security Benefits Planner for additional details. Consult with your tax advisor regarding your specific situation if contemplating work while receiving retirement benefits.

You can receive social security retirement benefits and work at the same time. However, if you are younger than full retirement age, as determined by the federal government, and you make more than the yearly earnings limit, the government will reduce your benefit. Full retirement age is 65 or older depending on your date of birth.

The IRS uses the following earnings limits to reduce your benefits: If you are under full retirement age for the entire year, $1 is deducted from your benefit payments for every $2 you earn above the annual limit. 

In the year you reach full retirement a, $1 in earnings is deducted for every $3 you earn above the specified annual limit, but only earnings before the month you reach your full retirement age are counted.

Starting with the month you reach full retirement age, you can receive your benefits with no limit on your earnings. The annual limit changes each year. Refer to the Social Security Administration for additional details.